Saturday, 12 April 2008

Forwarded and forwarded emails...

My first post to kick-off this blog used an item that was received from a friend via email. Naturally it was forwarded from his friend who got it from god knows where. Such multiple forwarded emails can sometimes be a bane and clutter up your inbox. These types of email are not actually spam... they come from your friends who think that what they have received may also interest you. So this well-intended chap would simply click the `forward' button and send to all in his address book.

One of the worst kind of forwarded emails are those that goad you into forwarding it further, either in the guise of encouragement (forward this email to 7 friends and light up their day!) or the veiled threat of misfortune (if you do not forward this email to at least 15 people, something bad will happen within a week!). In the pre-Internet era, I've received my fair share of similar type of chain letters. What the originator of such chain mails hope to achieve, I really can't understand, short of creating more business for the post office.

The mobile phone SMS has also been used for the same purpose. I have a sneaky feeling that chain SMSes are just the telco's trick to increase their revenue!

One of the most incredulous forwarded email that I received recently is the one purporting that Bill Gates is sharing his wealth, and that the receipient of the mail would get money if he does this or that or whatever. And some receipients along the way have the gall to add comments such as, `No harm trying.' Sheesh! Some people really are just born yesterday...

Equally annoying are the forwarded emails that advocate us to do this or that, under the name of religion but quoting dubious sources.

I don't mind receiving forwarded emails.... I myself forward some too... but what disappoints me is that some of my friends do not take enough care in reading what they receive and decide whether it is actually worth forwarding. If you forward to me an email of some fabulous get-rich-quick scheme, it immediately gives me an idea of what sort of person you are. And if I shoot back a reply that you not waste your time on such schemes, you would then know what sort of person I am.

Of course, there are useful items that drop in our inbox as well. Forwarded emails containing inspiration and humour are gratefully accepted. Like the one I received from a friend in
Singapore titled `Lights Around The World', containing beautiful pictures of cities around the world, taken at night. Some are shown below :











London













Paris










Chicago













Singapore


The original email has 19 photos. The last photo was just a black rectangle, supposedly Kuala Lumpur, but not visible due to a TNB blackout... hahaha...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is quite a naughty joke... TNB black-out or I could read also that they are mocking us as a country who does not have good maintenance practice or a country that is still in the dark about what we are doing...

Jack.

Oldstock said...

Jack,

Kalau orang kerja di TNB mesti terasa, heheheh...