Sunday, 11 May 2008

When there is nothing else to do but pray...

In my earlier post of 27 April 2008, I wrote about my day trip back to our hometown in Pontian. Part of the reason for that trip was to visit my aunt who has been warded in the district hospital for a few weeks.

She was transferred to the main general hospital in Johor Bahru (Hospital Sultanah Aminah) three days ago. I visited her yesterday and the doctors couldn't yet identify what the sickness was.

Early this morning, my cousin called to inform that doctors have diagnosed that my aunt is suffering from pancreatic cancer. The cancer is in the advanced stage and basically there is nothing much the doctors could do. It is really depressing to hear such a phrase... dah tak boleh buat apa-apa lagi.

I visited my aunt again this afternoon. The family is discussing on what we can do next. In the mean time, I pray to God Almighty to help relieve Mak Jah's pain and suffering.

Graphic borrowed from www.mayoclinic.com
I took the chance to read up on the disease from Mayo Clinic's website. The pancreas is the organ that lies just below the stomach and is part of the human digestive system. It secretes enzymes that aid disgestion and hormones including insulin, that help regulate the metabolism of sugars.
As to why my aunt's ailment was only detected at a late stage, Mayo Clinic's article has this to say : `Pancreatic cancer often has a poor prognosis, even when diagnosed early. Pancreatic cancer typically spreads rapidly and is seldom detected in its early stages, which is a major reason why it's a leading cause of cancer death. Signs and symptoms may not appear until pancreatic cancer is quite advanced and surgical removal isn't possible.'
Further information can be obtained from this link.

No comments: