Thursday, 19 June 2008

So why did the chicken go cross the road?

Why did the chicken cross the road?

Blogger friend Emila Yusof posted about this joke riddle in her beautifully illustrated blog a few days ago. It is an age-old riddle that's been around as long as I can remember. Over the years, the answers (apart from the original `...to get to the other side') have evolved from the inane to the hilarious. Googling this question will give you tons of websites that display a whole range of responses.

These are generally western-oriented, a sample of which I reproduce below :

Barack Obama : The chicken crossed the road because it was time for a CHANGE! The chicken wanted CHANGE!

George W. Bush : We don't really care why the chicken crossed the road. We just want to know if the chicken is on our side of the road, or not. The chicken is either against us, or for us. There is no middle ground here.

Colonel Sanders : Did I miss one?


Bill Gates : I have just released eChicken2008, which will not only cross roads, but will lay eggs, file your important documents and balance your checkbook. Internet Explorer is an integral part of the Chicken. This new platform is much more stable and will never cras..#@&&^(C%...... reboot.

Emila invited her readers to submit their own response. I managed to come up with a few Malaysia Boleh! versions and the following is what I sent in yesterday :

I don't have my own response as to why the chicken crossed the road but may I venture the following replies with local context in mind?

1. Chef Wan : The chicken saw me coming... that's why she crossed!

2. Pak Lah : Err... did the chicken really cross? I didn't know about that. Let me check with my Agriculture Minister.

3. TDM : Dia tak seharusnya melintas, bahaya tu... ayam ni mudah lupa.

4. Anwar Ibrahim : Of course the chicken will cross over. I had said so! And there's no money involved.

5. Chief of Police : It's alright for the chicken to cross. As long as they don't assemble more than 5, they are not breaking any laws.

My apologies for the political nature of the responses. Just that it seems to suit the times...

No comments: