I spotted this poster while at ALAM early last week. I guess most mariners would know this one by heart.
Why is a ship called `she’?
A ship is called a "she" because.....
- there is always a great deal of bustle around her;
- there is usually a gang of men about;
- she has a waist and stays;
- it takes a lot of paint to keep her good looking;
- it's not the initial expense that breaks you, it's the upkeep!
- she can be all decked out;
- it takes an experienced man to handle her correctly;
- and without a man at the helm, she is absolutely uncontrollable.
- She shows her topsides and hides her bottom, and
- when coming into port, always heads for the buoys.
Queen of the Netherlands, a 173m long trailer dredger on duty at Port of Tanjung Pelepas, Johor, 2003