Saturday, 16 August 2008

123 Book Tag

When Emila tagged me on this one, I thought... now which book should I choose...

~Start Copy Here~
Instructions:
1. Pick up the nearest book of at least 123 pages.
2. Open the book to page 123.
3. Find the fifth sentence.
4. Post the next three sentences after the tag chain.
5. Spread this tag to as many people as you can.
Book Tag Chain: 1) Only The Good Stuff, 2) What Simply Works 3) Reflexes 4) A Great Pleasure 5) Color It Green 6) Emila’s Illustrated Blog 7) Just Observations... 8) You’re next
~End Copy Here~
I decided to pick The Smoke Jumper by Nicholas Evans. Page 123 of the book is just after the start of Chapter 8. The next three sentences after the 5th sentence on page 123 goes like this :

Julia had always adored him. He was her hero, a fine-looking young man, blond and tall, with a great sense of fun, the kind of dad a young girl's school friends envied. When you told him something, even some silly, trivial thing that happened at school, or gave him an opinion on something, he always made you feel that what you said was interesting and important.

Hmm... how so much can be said in just three sentences.

When I first read The Smoke Jumper, I was engrossed in the adventure story of the main characters who were volunteer fire-fighters. They help fight forest fires by parachuting down at the affected areas in advance of other firemen who follow on foot. It was only towards the end of the book that I realised that Evans was writing about a love story.

I'm inviting Nurie to join this tag!

4 comments:

Emila Yusof said...

Thanks for playing, Fadhil! I haven't read this book. Will try to finish my Plain Song and Life of Pi before getting this one. Seems interesting the Smoke Jumper is.

Oldstock said...

The Smoke Jumper is really a love story about second chances. Let me know what you think after you've read it.

I flicked through Life of Pi at an airport bookstore once. After skimming a few pages, I wasn't sure if it would interest me, although the book has won critical acclaim.

Patricia said...

I actually read this the other day, but didn't leave a comment cos I was wondering which book I'd do this with.

I think this is a great idea! Is it a new one? Or has it been floating around for eons?

I'm reading 3 books now ;) so I'm tryin to decide which one to pick. Hahaha

This is an idea I read about once, and also practised once: Read a book, and when you've finished it, leave it someplace for someone to find, with a note telling them to take it and enjoy it.

I did it. But I've yet to find one left for me. Still hoping ....

Cheers.

Oldstock said...

Pat,

Feel free to join this tag. Would love to know what you're reading now.