Saturday, 2 August 2008

Randy Pausch's Last Lecture

On 11 May 2008, I posted a story about an aunt of mine who was suffering from pancreatic cancer -> see story here. She succumbed to the complications and passed away on 17 May 2008, about a week after I posted that story.

Yesterday, I came across a blog post that gave information of a remarkable university professor who recently died of pancreatic cancer. I've never heard of Professor Randy Pausch before but a link to the Carnegie Mellon University website told the story of an inspiring individual who delivered his last lecture about `Achieving Childhood Dreams' after being told that he had only 3 to 6 months to live.

Pausch passed away last week on 25 July 2008 at the age of 47. He gave his last lecture on 18 September 2007. This lecture is available on Youtube -> here. The video is a fairly long watch at 1hr 16min but there are many useful things that I learned from the Professor's last speech.

For a man facing imminent death, he started his lecture in fairly upbeat mood. Pausch said, `If I don't seem depressed or morose as I should be... sorry to disappoint you,' to a good laugh from the audience. `And I assure you I'm not in denial. We cannot change the cards we are dealt... it's just how we play the hand.'

Towards the end of his speech, he mentioned something about karma. `If you lead your life the right way, the karma will take care of itself,' Pausch said. `The dreams will come to you.'

Thank you to the blog I Wanna Hold Your Hand for this piece of inspiring information.

8 comments:

U.Lee said...

Hello Oldstock, yes, we saw him on TV giving his last lecture.
Hey, you dreaming about a digital camera? Saya pun la.
I had a choice of buying either my new Apple Imac 24 or a new Nikon D300 with an SB 80 accessory flash and an 18mm-200mm lens.
But decided I need a new computer more urgently.

My next objective is this Nikon....a D300.
Presently I have my 12 year old Nikon F-601 film camera with a portrait lens 35mm-135mm lens.
My hobby is taking portraits...mostly willing ladies, mostly friends wives and daughters.

Infact this very evening have been invited for a party to take portrait shots of several women, whooooHooo. They providing the films.

My ahemmm, lady models bring what ever clothes they want to be taken, and I pose them or they pose what they like. And I learned matured women still have young at heart ideas as some of their poses in slinky cocktail outfits made their daughters exclaim, "Ohhh, my God! Mom!! Is that you".
Their husbands not happy with me, ha ha as they grumble I make their wives look sexy, dia kena ahemmm. 'overtime' at home, arhaaa ha ha.
And thats my reward...,making people happy thru my lens.
Have a nice Sunday, Oldstock, Lee.

U.Lee said...

Ooops, I just remembered, I still have an old Yashica in my storeroom, 30 years old, not sure whether working or not. Lee.

Outskirt Outreach said...

Hi Oldstock, thanks for dropping by our blog and the comment. Yes, we in Perak are bracing ourselves as the first people who are stepping into unknown territory now that it is managed by PR. So far, the going is good. See that you're a photography fan too. Great!

Outskirt Outreach said...

Read some of your postings on social and politics.

If this is of interest to you, two days ago our Sultan Azlan Shah's brother Raja Baharom was robbed in his house at 4am. And the police station and quarter is less than 1km away. This goes to show how much respect crooks have for police. Poor Raja Baharom, he is already 80+, frail and must have gotten a bad fright. Police officers crowded his house the next morning, most grossly overweight unlike the fitter counterpart in Army and Fire Bridge. Wonder when was the last time they actually went down to the ground to work. Sigh!

Oldstock said...

Hi Lee,

I just got back from PC Fair at JB city centre. The Nikon D300 that you mentioned is on offer at RM6,388 c/w the 18-200mm lens. This is really the pro camera la, my friend. Out of my league.

Hey, I envy you la... dapat ambil gambar potret all those beautiful ladies. Their husbands should be grateful to you for making them work `overtime', heheheh... ;-)

Oldstock said...

Hi Double O,

I can't remember how I came across your blog. Probably from the Blog Malaysia directory. Love what you guys are doing in promoting the nature expeditions. I sure hope to be able to join you guys one day.

I'm not so much a so-po blogger. My so-po opinions are more as comments posted on other blogs.

Have bookmarked your blog and would put a link on my blogroll soon, if that's okay with you.

Keep up the good work.

Emila Yusof said...

A friend of mine gave the link to Prof Randy's video before and being a cry baby that I am, I cried like crazy. It was a great last lecture.

Oldstock said...

Hi Emila,

Is it not amazing how some people who have that super-something that can inspire others? Another thing I learned from that lecture : Help others to achieve their dreams.