Friday 22 May 2020

Bonsai gardening... an update (2)

Bonsai gardening is a hobby that demands huge patience. It takes years of tending and care to see the plants grow into beautiful bonsai. Just like any other hobby, perseverance and dedication are essential traits to have.

In most situations, I consider myself a patient person. However a trickle of impatience does creep in at other times. In the few years I've been into this pastime, I've learned a number of things. Among these are :

1. Plants will get infected by bugs and diseases. Sometimes leaves turn yellow or curl up. Sometimes the leaves don't even grow.

2. Some plants will die.

3. Each type of plant has a different rate of growth. Some sprout new leaves and buds within a few weeks of pruning. Some can be easily propagated using stem cuttings while others require other methods such as air-layering.

4. A branch or two would definitely break when you first learn the wiring and bending process.

5. Pruning dense leafy growth is a hard decision to make.

Failures

I've had my fair share of failures.
  • I had a dracaena tree growing in a normal pot for many years. I had trimmed the initial long stem to reduce the height and create branching. When the shape of the growth was pleasing, I transferred the plant into a shallow bonsai pot. It survived for a few months until I noticed that the leaves that fall off are not being replaced with new growth. I unearthed it from the pot and saw that root-rot had occurred. Cause of death : over-watering and possibly poor drainage.
  • Somebody threw away unwanted ixora shrubs at a dumpster near my house. I scavenged a few and managed to re-grow them in poly bags. One of these shrubs is a tiny plant about five inches tall with four slim branches. New leaves were already growing well and it even had flowers on one of the branches. I decided to re-pot it in a tiny ceramic pot to create a small bonsai known among hobbyists as mame. I even wired the branches to create the bonsai look. It died on me after about two months. Possible cause of death : poor root structure due to being transplanted too early.

Moving on

Notwithstanding the failures, I'm pleased to note that some plants are growing well and are on their way to be good-looking (I hope) bonsai trees in years to come. Among these are a few ficus plants and a tree which I think, is a pulai species. The pulai tree was a shoot growing out of a crack in a concrete drain near a project I was involved in about a year ago. I had carefully prised it out from the crack, hoping to pull out as much of the roots as I can. I replanted it in a normal pot but then transferred it to a shallow pot when it quickly outgrew the initial container. Presently, I'm letting the leaves grow more and allow additional branching. My hope is to create a dense canopy with reduced leaf size. Something to look forward to in the coming years.

Pulai tree entering its 2nd year

Ficus retusa in training for semi-cascade style

2 comments:

Sharifah said...

The pulai leaves have lovely hues and shapes.

Fadhil said...

Salam Sharifah,

It seems that the pulai tree is one of the few of my plants that grow quite well. New leaves are continuing to grow. I may do some pruning earlier than I thought.