Friday 27 November 2020

Bonsai gardening... an update (3)

I have a pair of ficus religiosa plants that I'm training into bonsai. These plants were scavenged from tiny shoots growing out from cracks in a drain and a wall. They are around two years old and have reached a semi-matured state where we can see reasonably tapered trunks and some branching up top. I'm training them in the formal upright style because I've seen pictures of mature ficus religiosa from other bonsai enthusiasts that show a lovely tree with dome-shaped canopy.

Of course, my plants have a very long way to go to reach such heights of creativity. But if you ask any true bonsai hobbyist, the enjoyment comes from the journey as much as the destination.

A few days ago, I took the opportunity to carry out some root pruning and re-potting of the plants because the roots have out-grown the pots to the extent of showing on the surface and escaping through the drainage holes at the bottom. It is actually a good indication that the plant is healthy, which I have found, to be one of the most difficult skills to acquire in bonsai gardening.

Pruning of the roots and re-potting is a recommended method to allow the plant to further mature while remaining small. The pruning would allow new fine roots to grow and establish a strong foundation. This, in turn, would help in promoting good growth for the branches and leaves.

After re-potting, I also did some branch pruning and defoliation. Removing all the leaves would help the plant cope with the stress of root pruning and re-potting. New and healthy leaves would then grow, hopefully at a reduced size.

Ficus religiosa is also known by other names such as ficus bodhi or peepal tree in India. Locally, it is part of the pokok ara family. A fully grown tree can reach up to 20m in height. It is also common to see this plant (as with most other ficus species) growing on the sides of abandoned buildings or even on other trees. Many of the very old and huge ficus trees are somewhat spooky and have urban legends associated with them.

I do not plan to have my trees carry any mysterious vibes. I just want them to be good-looking bonsai :-)

Two plants before root pruning and re-pot

Exposed surface roots indicating time for re-pot

Rootball after soil removal and before pruning

The plants after re-potting and defoliating


2 comments:

sabre23t said...

Salam Oldstock,
How have your bonsai doing since November? I don't think I'd have the patient to do bonsai. But I do enjoy seeing by mango tree from just 2 feet tall to now more than 12 feet tall, with roots going to the surface. Must be the deeper soil in my garder are too hard or filled with construction debris. Can't repot it, sincle it's not in apot though. ;-)
wassalam,
sabre23t

Fadhil said...

Salam Sabre. So sorry for the delayed comment moderation and reply. My bonsai plants are doing well, alhamdulillah. The collection has steadily grown and I'm now at the point of needing new plant stands to display them properly, hehe...