Thursday 30 April 2020

One local destination a month (2nd edition) - Part 3 : Masjid Raja Haji Fisabilillah, Cyberjaya

This delayed posting of the third place I visited this year would probably be the last one for quite a while. In the current global Covid-19 pandemic, local travel has been severely restricted. It is not clear when the lockdown would end but I guess it is better to remain at home rather than risk being infected and also spread the disease.

Our visit to the Masjid Raja Haji Fisabilillah at Cyberjaya, Selangor was made on 8 March 2020, ten days before the Malaysian government imposed the first Movement Control Order (MCO). We made the stop at the mosque on our way back to Johor Bahru after attending a friend's wedding reception at Shah Alam the day before. The mosque itself is nothing historical. It is of modern design, in line with most other buildings within the technocrat setting of the Cyberjaya township. My interest lies with the person the mosque is named after.

Raja Haji Fisabillah Ibni Opu Daeng Chelak (1727 - 1784) was a warrior of Bugis royal lineage. He was the younger brother of Raja Lumu who later became Sultan Salehuddin Shah, the first sultan of Selangor. Raja Haji was well-known for his bravery in fighting the Dutch colonialists. He was killed during a raid against the Dutch at Teluk Ketapang in Melaka. He was initially buried in Melaka but his remains were claimed by his descendants and re-buried at Pulau Penyengat near the city of Tanjung Pinang on Bintan Island in Riau, Indonesia.

I browsed Google Maps in search of the tomb (makam) of Raja Haji and was surprised to note that the cemetery at Pulau Penyengat is well-maintained and attracts many visitors and historians. The Indonesian government has also recognized the late warrior's achievement and awarded him with a posthumous title. In terms of straight-line measurement, the distance between the mosque at Cyberjaya and the tomb at Pulau Penyengat is only about 400km. Of course in seafaring terms, such a distance is quite amazing, considering the time period of those days.

If the Almighty permits, I would like to make a trip to Tanjung Pinang one day. As history has shown, the people of Selangor, Johor and Riau are closely related and were once the same nation.

Masjid Raja Haji Fisabilillah. Visited 8 March 2020

Side view

Interior of prayer hall

Commemorative plaque about its official opening

Open and bright hallway

Rear view
Google Earth image showing locations of mosque and tomb (click on picture to enlarge)

2 comments:

Pak Idrus said...

Thanks for highlighting this mosque at Cyberjaya. I did not know there is such a Magnificat building of a mosque there, not until I read this posting. I have been to Cyberjaya many times and still did have the time to cover the whole cyber city. Most of the time I just did some photography and had lunch at the mall there. My next visit there would surely be to this mosque. Thanks again.

Fadhil said...

Salam Pak Idrus,

I hope that you and your better half are in good health. I came to know about this mosque by chance. Our youngest son used to work at a restaurant in Cyberjaya. During one of our earlier trips to visit him, I saw a road sign indicating the direction to Masjid Raja Haji Fisabilillah. At that time, I didn't actually see the mosque so I googled about it when I reached home. That search led me to read more about the man himself. Hence on our next trip to Klang Valley, I took some time to drop by the mosque.