Thursday 4 March 2021

Another departure to the life hereafter

It has been a few weeks of sad news. My nephew passed away about two weeks ago (see previous post). Yesterday 3rd March 2021, I was notified in our K79 alumni WhatsApp group that one of our brothers has departed.

Bhadarul Baharain Sulaiman was good friend from our MCE 1979 batch at MRSM Kuantan. When we parted ways after the final exams in 1979, I lost touch with many of my fellow batchmates. Bhad and I re-connected via social media and we met up again for the first time since our student days at a reunion in 2010. Since then, we would meet again occasionally, normally at the wedding receptions of the children of our large MRSM Kuantan alumni family. Once in a while, Bhad would have some business in Johor Bahru and he would always let us know that he is in town. I and a few other K79 friends would then join him for lunch or dinner. Such meet-ups would almost always end up as hour-long sessions of chat and banter. Full of fun, light-hearted ribbing and humour.

The last time I met Bhad in person was in December 2019 at the wedding reception of the son of our MRSM Kuantan senior in Petaling Jaya. I was in Shah Alam on another matter and had contacted my fellow K79 friend Syed Idrus to ask if he was going to the wedding alone or with his wife. If he was going alone, I'd like to hitch a ride. Syed wasn't sure at first but he later called back saying that we can go together in his car. As it turned out, on the way to the Dewan Sivik MBPJ, Syed picked up two other K79 friends, Bhad Sulaiman and Harun Aminulrashid. Of course, there was not a silent moment in the car as four high-school friends shared jokes and stories.

The Covid-19 pandemic which began in February of last year meant that we never had the chance to meet again. Some friends in Klang Valley did however manage to arrange makan2 sessions with him during the few times when the MCO restrictions were relaxed.

Bhad Sulaiman was a very kind-hearted and generous man. Between the time I reconnected with him in 2010 until yesterday, the Almighty granted me about ten years of renewed friendship. It was a privilege. I miss him already. The K79 Departed List now has a new name added to it. Thirteen of our brothers and sisters have left ahead of us.

Innalillahi wainna ilaihi roji'un. Farewell, my brother. May Allah swt place your soul among the soliheen.

Pic taken in Sept 2010 at a K79 reunion. Bhad is standing 2nd from left. I'm next to him in the middle


Pic taken in Dec 2019. L to R : Oldstock (K79), Bhad (K79), Ahmad Azlan (K78 bapa pengantin), Dzul Fadzilah (K80), Syed Idrus (K79), Harun (K79)

No comments: