Thursday 20 February 2020

One local destination a month (2nd edition) - Part 1 : Tikam Batu, Kedah

Once in a while, I take the rural roads rather than the highways when traveling. This is especially true if I'm in no particular hurry and have no fixed duration to reach my destination. In such instances, I would be on the lookout for interesting places to stop.

We were in Penang in early January to visit our besan (my daughter-in-law's parents). While up north, I decided to make the short trip to Sungai Petani in Kedah to visit an old friend whom I've not seen since our student days in the UK. This friend is recovering from some ailments and had been out of work for a number of years. I had actually visited him a few years earlier but at that time, he was in the CCU of Sungai Petani Hospital so I did not actually manage to speak to him at all.

From Penang island, we took the ferry across to Butterworth. I decided to head on to Sungai Petani on the old Federal Route 1. The main objective was to make a stop to see a rice harvester machine that is being used as a prop next to the welcome signage at the Kedah border.

Mesin Padi Tikam Batu is located just after Merdeka Bridge that spans across Sungai Muda. This river forms the border between mainland Penang and Kedah.

According to media reports, the rice harvester and signage was erected by Majlis Perbandaran Sungai Petani in February 2019. It is quite a novel idea and I appreciate the council for making the effort. The location is perfect, with wide paddy fields in the background. Although not quite a tourist destination, I hope the council would maintain it well.

I stopped by the location only for a few minutes and regretted not looking at the machine in detail. I would have loved to know the manufacturer and specifications, even though the harvester could be just a mock-up. Online searches have not yielded any details.

Welcome to Kedah, the premier rice-growing region in Malaysia. Visited on 02 January 2020

Rice Harvester

No comments: