Wednesday 4 November 2020

Honouring the recommendations

When it is the first time I wish to engage a particular service or buy a product, I would normally try to reach out to friends for recommendations. If the particular service or shop belongs to someone related to this friend, then all the better. I'll always try to be a customer of this new introduction because it helps develop trust and networking. Sometimes, the service or item bought may not be entirely satisfactory but then, I'll have the option of giving honest feedback to the friend or I would simply move on and seek a different service provider or shop for the next one.

Similarly, friends would advertise about the business of their relatives in social media (WhatsApp groups, Facebook and the like). In the present situation of a depressed economy, it feels good to be able to support friends and their relatives in any small way possible. However, while we may wish to become a customer, the party providing the service sometimes does not seem to seriously take our enquiries.

In the past month, two incidents of such nature happened to me.

In the first situation, I was looking for someone to help me register a new small-time business venture with the Companies Commission of Malaysia (SSM). Just a small enterprise, not a private limited company, hence no need for a company secretarial service. I could probably do it myself but I had seen a friend post on Facebook that his son is involved in such business. So I messaged the friend who in turn gave me his son's phone number. I messaged the son on WhatsApp, waited for three days but received no response. Time to move on.

The second incident related to my laptop which was really lagging in performance. I wanted to get it serviced and install an SSD (solid-state drive) which, I was told, would greatly speed up program launches. I recalled that a friend had previously advertised that his son does computer servicing work. So I messaged this friend to re-share his son's advert. I made a call to the number in the advert but the it was not picked up. Okay, maybe he's busy. I'll try again tomorrow just to give him a second chance, unlike the first incident. 

The next day, I made another call in late afternoon. Still no answer. The following day, I sent a WhatsApp message, quoting that I got his number from my friend (his father). My message was replied the day after but sadly, without any apologetic tone. This meant that he had previously noted my two missed calls but did not think it important enough to respond. 

Anyway, there were further exchanges of messages relating to my intention of servicing my laptop but the responses were so discouraging that it gave me the impression that this guy isn't serious about it (said he was at work and I need to send the laptop to him but did not say where). The messages ended in limbo and I made up my mind to look for a proper computer service shop. I logged on to Facebook, did a search and found a shop located in Taman Daya which had a reasonable number of good reviews. The next afternoon, I drove to the shop with my laptop, discussed with the technician about my problem and listened to his recommended solution. Install SSD. Will take about 3 hours. Don't worry, all existing data on the laptop will be preserved. Cost is only RM so and so. I left my laptop, went to the nearby AEON Shopping Mall at Bandar Dato Onn to kill the three hours.

Came back after three hours and my laptop is sprinting faster than Usain Bolt. I should have done this earlier. Very good service and reasonable price. I'm now thinking of installing an SSD on my desktop next. 

How I wish sons would be concerned about taking care of the good name of their fathers. I sincerely hope my sons would not disappoint in the same way. 

No comments: