Wednesday 6 October 2021

Bonsai gardening... an update (4)

It has been a while since I last posted about my bonsai hobby. The last post on this topic was almost a year ago when I wrote about the pair of ficus religiosa plants that I re-potted. Those plants have since grown new leaves quite vigorously to the extent that I had to prune them again a few months ago.

In this post, I'm sharing the update on a ficus retusa plant that I am styling to have an umbrella-shaped canopy with some exposed roots. I believe I've had this tree from the very start of my bonsai hobby (about 3 years now) and it has been re-potted once. It has grown quite healthily and is slowly approaching the design that I have in mind. I did some minor leaf pruning a few days ago and I'm happy to say that it is one of the better-looking bonsai plants in my collection, not that I have that many.

I am now planning to buy a more suitable bonsai pot, one that is slightly larger but shallower, with the intention of re-potting it again in a year or so from now.

Row of bonsai plants in training. Two ficus religiosa on the left, guava in the middle,
ficus retusa and bougainvillea

The ficus retusa before leaf pruning

After some minor pruning

No comments: