Thursday 19 March 2020

After Day 1 of Movement Control Order (MCO)

In the previous post two days ago, I mentioned my intention to drop by Larkin Sentral Market on the first day of the MCO. I changed that decision. Instead of going to the largest wet market in Johor Bahru, we went to Mydin Hypermarket at Taman Rinting to see if the situation is different from our experience at Tesco.

Before I describe the situation at Mydin, let me first briefly recap my Day 1 MCO :

1. Our youngest son safely arrived home around 4.00 am after driving from Shah Alam. He was previously working at a restaurant and had resigned before the government announced the partial lockdown. I was slightly worried that he might face problems in getting home due to the inter-state movement restriction.

2. A message came in my MRSM Kuantan alumni whatsapp group confirming that one of our friends has been infected with the coronavirus. He was part of the group we call Kuatagh Pioneers (the first batch of students enrolled at MRSM Kuantan) who held a reunion at Jakarta the weekend before. Among those who attended the reunion were some former teachers. The implications of this bit of worrying news are still being contemplated. Nonetheless, my prayers for the infected senior and that no other participants of that event had been affected.

3. My wife and I went to do some grocery shopping at Mydin Mall in Taman Rinting. There was very little traffic on the road, indicating that the MCO does have some effect. The situation at the hypermarket was calm and orderly. Apart from the hypermarket itself, the other tenants within the mall were closed. A few stalls in the foodcourt were in business but only for takeaways. The number of shoppers, I would say, is about average on a normal weekend. The hypermarket was well-stocked. There were no empty shelves although some essential items have a purchase limit for each customer. I did not see any shopper hoard stuff into his trolley. Overall, I applaud the Mydin chain for managing their business quite well in these trying times.

4. On the way home, we stopped by one of our regular restaurants that sells nasi campur. They had a large array of pre-cooked lauk pauk, all for sale on takeaway basis only. I was happy that they were open for business because, judging from the number of customers, they are providing a much-needed service too.

Another 13 days to go unless the Prime Minister decides an extension is required if the outbreak does not reverse its upward trend. Let's hope and pray that this pandemic ends soon.

Enough toilet rolls at Mydin for everyone


No comments: