Tuesday 17 March 2020

Panic buying

Yesterday 16 March 2020, the Prime Minister of Malaysia announced a Movement Control Order that is intended to curb the Covid-19 virus outbreak. The Order would be effective tomorrow 18 March 2020 and last up to 31 March 2020.

I do not intend to go into details of the restrictions contained in the order. Just to note that it did spark a spree of panic buying among some citizens in this country. While the government has gone to great lengths to assure the people not to panic (provision stores and markets would be allowed to operate), there is no way to prevent certain segments of the community from hoarding stuff as if the world is about to end. In some ways, that is understandable. For the majority of Malaysians, it is a situation they have never faced before. Uncharted waters. Unknown territory, We are human beings after all... we fear the unknown.

Earlier today I decided to drop by a local supermarket to see the situation for myself. I chose to go to Tesco at Setia Tropika which is actually not our normal place to shop for groceries. I thought that maybe this relatively smaller supermarket would not be a target for hoarders. How wrong I was.

The rows and rows of empty shelves were quite astonishing. Many of the essential items are sold out. Tesco had run out of stocks to replenish.

I picked up the few items I need that are still available. At the checkout counter, I asked the cashier when the panic buying happened. She said that it was yesterday evening. It was crazy.

Well, the actual 2-week restriction period will start tomorrow. I'll probably make a quick trip to Larkin wet market to see if there are some people still in panic mode.

Fresh vegetable section

Canned food

Total wipeout of toilet rolls. Only kitchen towels left

Just a few bags of rice remain

Frozen foodstuff all but gone

No comments: